Pandemic times have paved ways where corporate business finances have witnessed great loss. Restructuring the same to thrive in the market today as well as taking into consideration the debts the company is along with glancing at the number of mouths to feed is highly significant matter.
- Restructuring is when any organisation gets into the process of making drastic changes, both financial and operational particularly under financial duress.
- Transfer of ownership, new goals, a buyout merger or prep for sale.
- Restructuring must lead to a smooth sailing and a state of equilibrium later on.
Government responses to covid 19 pandemic have closed down a majority of global economy resulting in grave liquidity problems when the corporate sector is historically highly leveraged on board. Initially in 2001 and 2008 only those companies were affected which were under serious cash flow pressure, but now the number has risen as targeted corporate sector is both leveraged and susceptible to economic cycle.
Most businesses run within the constraints of their financial agreements utilizing as much of their credit lines. However following a decline in these resources, companies capital structures will be rendered untenable .the only option available thereafter will be to restructure especially with reopening of US and other economies.
At the most basic level restructuring is the process of re negotiating affirms key contracts in fact Michael Jensen and William meckling have defined a firm as Nexus of contracts. these can be operational like supplier contracts, employee contracts or joint venture agreements and so forth. wild financial contracts or conditions are inclusive of bond issues categories of stock, short term credit facilities or loans. Renegotiating financial contracts enables a company to overcome the financial draw in two ways. Firstly it re-aligns the financial and contractual burden to match the current value and cash flow; secondly it facilitates the infusion of new capital into business. The financial contract revisited aims at maximising the value of the enterprise end providing liquid funds to operate viable projects. The board of directors taken undertaking depending whether the company is solvent or not. In cases of solvent aspect the interests of shareholders pause emphasised while in insolvent cases the interests of creditors is taken into account.
Steps taken to reconsolidate the business in quarantine:
Few ways to financially restructure your business in distress of quarantine can be –
- Situational evaluation and understanding of characteristics of your firm, strategic and organisational.
- Identifying the strengths and weakness of your business.
- Using findings to design new platforms.
- Analysing the business results .
- Approach to launch the restructuring programme or plan and adjust .
Looking at these one by one:
- Most of the times during financial crunch first reaction to meet the upfront demands of the company is to sell the assets. Therefore it is advisable to be conscientious while taking any such step and evaluate the strategies for which you can take assistance of the specialist . Evaluation includes study of existing motives, futuristic goals, objectives ,management and financial resources. Along with their viability to meet the impending requirements of the pressing environments. This determines the criteria and the objectives which can be supported to adequately meet the financial demands.
- A holistic approach to resolve financial crises and restructure the business after evaluating the scenario, includes an insight into the positives and pitfalls you may face while restructuring the business. These effect the workforce to the maximum. If you are an employer then in such distressing conditions employees can be referred for their ideology pertaining to the current and working conditions and what’s not in favour for realignment. As they are the inflicted population ,their support and foresight regarding changes can be of immense importance. Make sure that benefits of the restructuring process are evident and if not then one must opt out of restructuring.
- To develop a new structure the operational aspect of restructuring cannot be overlooked. Restructuring costs can add up quickly for things such as eliminating service lines, divisions, writing off assets ,cancelling contracts and relocating employees. Further extra costs of jumping into new market ,adding services or products or training new employees and above all buying new properties are imminent when designing the new structure. Undoubtedly the debts and characteristics expand whenever the restructuring is the only option. Moreover now this requires a transparency towards vendors and a thorough communication and alliance with the lending parties.
- Having a keen sight for the relevant reactions after the restructuring process taking into account understanding the insights and the conclusions is another upcoming issue. Most commonly there are three types of reactions do any restructuring program of any kind-alliance compliance and defiance. Compliance can be dealt with one normal outlook while the most important is to manage and analyse the reasons for defiance towards the restructuring decision. Alliance is a state of being joined or associated based on similarity of interests and it is formed for mutual benefit to achieve a common aim. Compliance however is the act of subjecting oneself to a command for acting to obey rule or a request. Compliance is undoubtedly required in restructuring during training the new employees or relocating the old ones. For gradually achieving profits from the restructuring process the act of acquiescing is extremely relevant. Paradoxically, the act of defiance to the authority as an open disregard is a matter of grave concern as it may weekend the restructuring process.
- Adapting to the change Richard restructuring process can drink about while you are in quarantine after dwelling into all the parameters can we sometimes a difficult task. Maintaining a constant streamline and implementing the final new structural design always require a great ability to with stand all the challenges. The call of the hour would be to devote time as well as managing the employees, the vendors and the suppliers with great patience to shape up the restructuring accurately. Taking assistance from the wide funding options for restructuring your business, to take it out of a financial draw is always recommended in order to cope up with the entire restructuring program.